Common Foods To Cure Common Symptoms While Traveling
As the Holidays are upon us, traveling inevitably becomes a frequent occurrence. With the hustle and bustle of traveling, it is not uncommon to catch a cold or little stomach bug. Unfortunately, all too often it is after we arrive at our destination. Don’t fret! We have listed, for your reference, some common symptoms that you can cure with common foods. If your house host does not have these items on hand, they are quick finds at a local grocery store. Personally tested in our own kitchen, we are sure you will find relief, and without breaking the bank!
Type Of Symptom Followed By The Cure:
- Onset of a cold: Eat a clove of fresh Garlic (OR if this sounds too strong, chop up a clove of Garlic and add to a tsp of warmed Olive Oil)
- Upset Stomach/Nausea/Vomiting: Drink 1 cup of hot water with fresh mint or a slice of ginger*; drink black tea; or eat burnt toast.
- Diarrhea: Cook rice, preferably brown, with extra water, and drink the “rice water.”
- Constipation: Drink ½ the amount of your body weight in water with a fresh slice of lemon in hot water; drink a combination of 1 to 2 tsp olive oil with a squeeze of fresh lime juice; or eat homemade applesauce.
- Digestive Aide (Gas): Drink mint or ginger* tea; or chew a small handful of caraway seeds.
- Sore Throat: Gargle with 4 tsp of apple cider vinegar in 1 pint of hot water; drink a combination of 1 tsp honey, 1 lemon slice and 1 cup of hot water; or drink 1 tsp fresh sage, chopped, in 1 cup of warm water.
- Insomnia: Take a bath in Epsom salts to relieve tired muscles and relax your body for sleep.
- Anxiety or Stress: Drink chamomile or lavender tea; or take a bath with lavender buds.
*can substitute 2 tsp ground dried ginger if fresh is not available