Choosing a healthy cereal
Cereal is a good source of carbohydrates, which we need for energy, and most of us love cereal, but some cereals are nothing more than “junk carbs” – lots of sugar, but not much nutritional value. “Junk Carbs” are a leading cause of obesity. To be able to choose a healthy cereal, look carefully at the nutrition label on the box before you buy it.
When selecting a healthy cereal look for the following:
- Cereal made from whole grains, not just “wheat”
- At least 3 grams of protein per serving
- Less than 6 grams of sugar per serving
- At least 3 grams of fiber per serving
- No hydrogenated oils, artificial preservatives, artificial colors, or high fructose corn syrup