The Top 16 Superfoods
Dr. Sears’ List of 16 Superfoods
There isn’t a standard definition of what a superfood is. There are tons of superfood lists out there, some help you sleep better, and others are for weight loss, but at the core of it all, these lists of superfoods have one thing in common: They are designed under the premise that those who eat better, live better.
Characteristics of a Superfood
- They are all nutrient-dense, meaning they pack the most nutrition for the number of calories they contain.
- They contain nutrients that have proven, science-based benefits.
- They are made by nature and are not processed or packaged.
- They taste good and satisfy your body.
- They have the ability to be prepared in a variety of ways.
- They contain no ingredients that have been found harmful to your health.
The following superfoods are healthy options for all ages but even more optimal for adults to age well. Each contains one or more nutrients that research has shown promote healthy aging. Most superfoods also have what we call the AAA effect: anti-inflammatory, anticancer, and anti-Alzheimer’s.
Dr. Sears Top 16
- Seafood (especially salmon)
- Berries (especially blueberries)
- Olive oil
- Flaxseed Meal
- Pomegranate Juice
- Red Onions
- Beans & Lentils
Ready to start living better by packing your diet with nutrient-dense foods? Choose a few superfoods from the list above and give them a try!