Knowing you are growing a new human being inside of you can create many questions, as well as stir up the emotions of excitement and fear. Wanting to make sure you are doing everything in your power to create a happy, healthy baby is a natural desire. If you’re searching for a trusted resource for tips for a healthy pregnancy you have come to the right place. Dr. William Sears has been titled “America’s Pediatrician” by both Baby Talk and Parenting Magazine. He has authored over 40 books on how to have the healthiest baby possible such as The Healthy Pregnancy Book, The Birth Book, and The Baby Book.
Signs and Symptoms of Pregnancy
One of the signs of pregnancy is you may feel emotionally pregnant, despite the symptoms of your pregnancy not having started yet. For most, the first sign of pregnancy is a missed period. However, you may also feel slightly nauseated, hungry, thirsty, tired, hot, weak, or dizzy. Sometimes women who are newly pregnant assume they have a touch of the flu, until your body or doctor tells you otherwise. You may also find yourself taking a trip on an emotional rollercoaster.
In addition to the common early signs of pregnancy mentioned above, you may experience slight staining or spotting, aversions to odors, alcohol and smoke, food cravings, breast changes, crampy pelvic discomfort, abdominal discomfort/bloating, and/or frequent urination.
Pregnancy is a major life change, so allow the news to sink in a bit. Follow these tips for a healthy pregnancy and enjoy the road ahead of you because it will be one of the most exciting experiences of your life!
One of the first tips for a healthy pregnancy is creating a healthy womb environment. You are now making decisions for two and must consider the little person growing in your body. Their well being can seriously be affected by your habits. Parenting this little one begins even before birth.
When in doubt about what you should eat and drink or about a particular substance, consult your health-care provider. Also remember to rely on your common sense. Any substance affecting your body will most likely have an even stronger affect your baby’s immature liver and kidneys, which are not able to process and eliminate substances as quickly as your organs can. What’s good for mother is likely to be good for baby; what’s harmful for mother is likely to be detrimental for your baby.
Basic Tips for a Healthy Pregnancy
- Avoid environmental toxins including smoking, alcohol, illicit drugs, caffeine, and airborne chemicals such as household cleaners. Avoid smoking, alcohol, and using illicit drugs yourself. During pregnancy it is also better for baby to avoid caffeine, which is found in coffee, colas, tea, chocolate, and some over-the-counter medications. All of these environmental toxins are especially dangerous in the first trimester (conception through month three). Other environmental toxins to avoid include bug sprays, building materials, and the like as they contain known or suspected teratogens – substances that can cause birth defects.
- Eating right is one of the best tips for a healthy pregnancy. Make sure you are getting the right mix of the six basic nutrients: lean proteins, complex carbohydrates, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals (mainly calcium and iron) and water.
- Maintain an active lifestyle, assuming you have a healthy pregnancy. Safety is also important when exercising while pregnant. Always:
- Consult your doctor before you begin an exercise program
- Determine your present fitness level
- Dress for the occasion
- Exercise regularly
- Know your limits
- Be easy on your joints
- Don’t shake the baby
- Realize you’re off-center
- Realize that mommy slows as baby grows
- Rehydrate and refuel
- Keep cool
- Warm up and cool down
- Choose the right sport
- Keep off your back
- Breathe! Both you and baby need oxygen
By refraining from smoking, alcohol and harmful drugs as well as taking good nutritional care of yourself, you have a greater than 95% chance of delivering a healthy baby. Follow these tips for a healthy pregnancy and enjoy the miracle that is about to come into your life.
The L.E.A.N. Blog
Health Coach Certification
Dr. Sears Wellness Institute™
San Diego, CA 92123
Phone: (866) 446-1967
Fax: (303) 558-4214