A Health Coach Can Help You Make Your Own Medicine ®
Working with a Health Coach Certified by the Dr. Sears Wellness Institute you learn to view your body as a walking pharmacy, a storehouse of all we need to be happy and healthy. We have the ability to unlock our body’s medicines, which are tailor-made for us. The better prepared we are, the easier it will be to make the choice to help our bodies make their own medicines, dispensed at the right time, at the right dose.
The Benefits of Making Your Own Medicine
Dr. Sears Health Coaches are trained to educate you on nutrition and lifestyle, then equip you with tools and resources that help you “make your own medicine.” Here are just a few benefits of the good medicines your body can create:
- Better prevention of illness and disease
- Repair of existing damage
- Improved cognitive function
- Greater level of happiness and fewer mood disorders
- More energy
Changing Your Mindset
When you understand better how making your own medicine is possible, when you go to the doctor and the prescription pad comes out, you likely will ask:
- “Doctor, what can I do?” rather than “Doctor, what can I take?”
- “Can you tell me a bit more about why are you prescribing this?”
- “Are there lifestyle changes I could try first?”
- “If this prescription is necessary, can you also prescribe some exercise and diet changes?”
- “What is the risk-benefit ratio?”
If you don’t ask, you cannot make an informed decision about what is right for you.
The Dr. Sears Approach
Dr. Sears prefers to approach his patients his by saying, “Here’s what I advise,” instead of “Here’s what I prescribe”. Here are some examples of his skills versus pills approach to “make your own medicine”:
- Skill instead of pills to mellow your mood: “The increased blood flow during vigorous exercise stimulates the brain to secrete endorphins and other “happy hormones” that have a natural calming effect.”
- Skill instead of pills to heal an upset stomach or heartburn: “Instead of eating too much, eat twice as often, half as much, and chew twice as long.”
- Skill instead of pills to cover up pain: “Eat healing, anti-inflammatory foods instead of hurting, proinflammatory foods.”
- For more skills visit Pills and Skills Model of Health Care
Take a moment to access your lifestyle, exercise, attitude, and nutrition habits. What is working well for you? What could use a little improvement? Working with a Certified Health Coach can help you discover the answers to these questions and more – to connect with one today go here.
You can also learn more about it in these books by Dr. Sears: The Inflammation Solution and Prime Time Health.
Make Your Own Medicine® is a registered trademark of the Dr. Sears Wellness Institute