Casserole, Chili and Pot Pie – OH MY!
Even the healthiest intentions of parent nutritionists go for naught if their children won’t eat their painstakingly prepared meals. For children to enjoy the foods you fix, it must taste good and look inviting. Children are more likely to eat what they have helped create. Make meal preparation a family affair!
Here are three favorite healthy recipes from the Dr. Sears kitchen that are perfect for the cold weather months:
Penne Rigate Casserole
- 1 lb. whole wheat penne pasta
- 12 ounces tempeh, crumbled
- 1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Boil pasta in salted water. Cook it until it is firm to the bite. Drain. Mix the tempeh crumbles with the parsley, egg, and 1 cup of the parmesan cheese. In a 13″ x 9″ casserole dish, layer the sauce, pasta, tempeh mixture, and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle on 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Repeat the layering. Bake at 350 degrees until the casserole bubbles.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 lb. lean ground turkey
- 4 ounces Italian turkey sausage
- 4 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. ground cardamon
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 8-ounce cans organic tomato sauce
- 1-2 cans pinto beans
- 1-2 can kidney beans
- 1 tbsp. dark molasses
- 3 cups of organic beef broth
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 12 ounces beer (the alcohol evaporates during cooking)
Saute the onions and garlic. Add the meat and saute until it is no longer pink. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 hours.
Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 cans organic cream of celery soup
- 1 box of organic cream of mushroom soup
- 1.5 cups of organic chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 lb. Organic Chicken Breast or Thigh, cut into strips or cubes and sauteed in 1 T coconut oil
- 1 large package (16-20 ounces) fresh or frozen mixed vegetables (mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, peas and carrots)
Place chicken and vegetables in a pie dish. Mix all soups together and pour mixture over chicken and vegetables. Top with biscuit topping.
…for the biscuit topping…
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 3/8 cup softened butter
- 1 cup milk or water
Combine the dry ingredients. Cut in the oil using your fingers or a food processor to get the texture of fine crumbs. (This mix can be made in larger quantities and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.) Add the milk or water and stir just until moistened.